Saturday 25 September 2010

Standing Lost in a Landscape of Tears

On quiet tracks well away from the well trodden footpaths, I sometime come upon abandoned buildings. A sorry sight with gables torn over in the winds and walls leaning under the spreading of the roof members.

I have to resist the temptation to take a closer look as some are frequented by wild barn owls and they would not appreciate being frightened out into the rain. In my mind I question why these buildings fell into neglect but as long as they can provide a little shelter for the wildlife at least I can take heart in them forming a use before they finally give in to the elements.

The title for the sketch may seem a little poetic. It is a line from a fine song by Ian Anderson called Set-Aside on his Secret Language of Birds Album. Its a short acoustic tune at only about 90 seconds and reflects on places such as these. It seems to pop into my mind whenever I happen on such a place.

No comments:

Post a Comment