Wednesday 6 July 2011

A Seat in the Canopy

Line after line of tall conifers stood to attention either side of the worn earth trail. Each passing step provided the same hypnotic effect as the planted lines revealed themselves and it seemed only the undergrowth provided the aspects of random nature around the base of the trunks and scattered the regular patterns of the shadows off the setting sun. A subtle twist in the path ahead signaled the end of the plantation area and the sight of self seeded silver birch and taller undergrowth began a gentle sprawl back to the impression of a woodland forming its way in its own time.

I followed the turn in the path and began stepping towards the edge of the wood in what was rapidly becoming twilight. Oaks lay on the western edge of the wood against the boundary with the fields, lining the dry ditch and overhanging the arable crop rustling gently in the slight breeze beyond. Propped against one of the straighter trunks of the last trees was a giant ladder formed of branches from the woodland. To the top of the ladder sturdier timbers formed a seat and backrest setting a chair among the lower canopy with a makeshift handrail to give security to those who would trouble themselves to climb the lookout.

The sight of the simple structure brought back fond memories of tree houses and the excitement of climbing in childhood years. I found it a shame that the lookout viewed over the field and not the woodland, but it was perhaps built for providing a vantage for those who cared for any livestock that may have roamed the field in past years. Within my mind I became aware of the possibility that I could well be mistaken regarding its purpose. Perhaps it could have been built for the fun of it. If something is built for the reason of an alternative perspective and enjoyment itself from such modest means as the fallen materials around the area it could indeed hold qualities way beyond the utility.

8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful find. I've enjoyed sitting in a tree now and again. Just a few feet above the ground and the world looks different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment and the follow Rob, much appreciated. I have a feeling that the person who made the lookout would have certainly agreed with you (as would I) & spent many hours sitting undisturbed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Owl, I love your sketching style! This post brought back memories of when I was a child; sitting in my roughly-made tree house at the back of our house, watching fox cubs play on the railway line. I'm looking forward to reading back through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Omi
    Welcome to TQON, I am glad to have brought back a few fond memories. Your quick description of your tree house certainly made me smile! Thanks for the follow and I will do my best to keep posting for your enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many thanks Ashley, and also Skate & Crazysaint222 from the Natural Bushcraft forum for informing me that the seat is a raised platform for shooting. I suspect this one has not been used for many years but it still stands and no doubt gets climbed by people who share my curiosity and are lighter than I am!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I spend many hours in high seats. They are ideally placed to watch deer hence looking towards the field at the edge of the wood. It will most probably be Roe deer which will come out just before dusk. July is the Roe deer rut, so there might be signs in the woods as well. As usual, fantastic posts and sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many thanks Pablo, the woods I often walk have Roe deer, but they are very wary creatures and a sighting is a rare treat. Good to know you use your seats for best advantage.

    ReplyDelete