Thursday 8 December 2011

The Crucible of Moonlight

One beautiful aspect of walking at night is the relationship of the scenery to the moonlight and the phases of the moon. Familiar sights can be transformed from the depths of shadow to a resplendent scene in an instant making even a regular journey a different experience every time.

One such place for me is a glade to the western fringe of a Nottinghamshire wood. The closeness to the fields and the greater spacing of the trees seems to act in a way to collect the moonlight and sets itself aglow with the silver light. A fine sight with the woodland undergrowth shifting shadows onto the earth and spectacular living columns of the trees standing proud against the darkness of the deeper wood. Sitting within the centre of the glade are the roots and lower trunk of a fallen tree. Its curious fracture line forms a rustic chair with a seat and a rising shard of its old sapwood to create a back rest.

I often stop for a moment to appreciate the sight before me, but strangely I have never felt the urge to sit within the rustic chair, perhaps something within me tells me the experience would not be as comfortable as I would hope, but also to step into the scene seems an inappropriate imposition. In a moment the scene can fade to grey as the cloud covers the moon but retains its form in the veiled and reflected light. Passing by the glade within the hours of daylight I find it blends with the surrounding wood and is impossible to see the qualities it shows in the night. This is supported by the walkers I have observed marching by without even giving a glance in its direction. It is indeed a pity to see people missing such splendour. There are lessons I carry from this place to help me understand the perspectives of light, scene, passing time, seasons and the elements. I hope you will one day find such a place, a place that is both ordinary and completely spectacular.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. Full moon tonight and a rare, clear sky. Wonderful post and blog. Are the sketches yours? They remind me those in books I read as a child - remembered with fondness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Shamantra for you kind words & follow. Glad to know you are enjoying the blog. Yes the sketches are mine, I try to make sure I spend only 5 or 10 minutes one each one (I do more detailed & illustrative work but I started working these up after a friend asked if I would try creating a sketch in a few minutes rather than 5 or 6 hours).

    I will look forward to calling in on your blog and will set some time aside this weekend to get used to the blogger.com website to visit those who have been good enough to follow my listing on there.

    Best wishes.

    Owl

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...thankyoU owl! ~ the artistic spirit of the even-song colours of the woods ~ in fact ~ everything ~ is certainly a palpable pleasure purely unique in its own contrasting way! ~ it is a whole world all together a genre all its very own! ~ thankyoU for the thought share! ~ & ~ blessed be!...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you again for your comments, always a pleasure to see you here and know that I am not alone in appreciating the changing form of a moonlit night. I will look forward to calling in to see your images and fine words very soon.

    ReplyDelete